It’s National Ag Day: Did You Know This About Montana Agriculture?
Today marks not only the first day of spring, but also National Agriculture Day. National Ag Day has been celebrated for 45 years and always falls during National Ag Week. This year National Ag Week is this week, March 18-24.
Agriculture is vitally important and each American farmer feeds more than 165 people according to the Agriculture Council of America.
When you think of Montana you think of agriculture. Here are some facts you may not know about agriculture in Montana:
- Agriculture is the number 1 industry in Montana and is dominated by wheat and cattle.
- There are 28,008 farms and ranches in Montana.
- Montana is No. 2 in the nation for acres of barley with over 44.7 million bushels harvested.
- Montana farmers harvested almost 11,000 acres of potatoes in 2015.
- Montana is number 1 in the nation for growing dry edible peas.