UPDATE: The Gallatin County Sheriff's Office has issued a news release with more details about what happened before and after a man was arrested for shooting at Gallatin County Sheriff's Deputies.

Just before midnight on Wednesday, the Belgrade Police were dispatched to a residence after a call reporting a partner or family member assault. When they arrived, they found the suspect in the assault had already left the residence.

He was located at a gas station in Belgrade but fled (striking a vehicle) when a deputy attempted to make a stop with his emergency lights and siren activated.

The deputy pursued the suspect vehicle towards Manhattan on the Frontage Road, joined by other law enforcement. Attempts to spike the vehicle’s tires in Manhattan were unsuccessful.

The pursuit then ran through Manhattan and turned westbound onto Interstate-90. A detective with the Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office set spike strips at the Logan Interchange in another attempt to bring the pursuit to an end. The driver of the suspect vehicle fired multiple rounds at the detective on the side of the road, striking his unmarked sheriff’s office vehicle that had its emergency lights activated.

Shortly after the shots were fired, the pursuit with the suspect vehicle was called off due to poor road conditions and limited visibility.

Later, the suspect vehicle was located in Silver Bow County, where another pursuit began. The suspect vehicle’s tires were later deflated by law enforcement, and the vehicle came to a stop near mile marker 173 on I-90. After approximately a four-hour standoff, the suspect was safely taken into custody.

No law enforcement officers were injured during this incident.
The following law enforcement agencies were involved in this protracted event: Belgrade Police Department, Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office,Montana Highway Patrol,

Manhattan Montana Police Department, Jefferson County Montana Sheriff's Office,
Butte-Silver Bow Law Enforcement Department, Anaconda-Deer Lodge County Law Enforcement Center, Granite County Sheriff’s Office, Powell County Sheriff's Office

, and SWAT teams from Butte and Missoula.

Interim Sheriff Dan Springer would like to thank all of the agencies involved for their assistance in safely resolving this incident.


The Powell County Sheriff told KXLF-TV that the man was arrested near Garrison, Montana, on I-90, after a four-hour standoff. The man's identity has not been released.

I-90 was shut down near Garrison for a time. A trucker who passed through after the highway had been re-opened told us that the man's front passenger side tire was completely gone, and his driver's side window was busted out.

The Billings Gazette reported that the incident began at around 3 a.m. when the man fired at law enforcement in Gallatin County. A chase involving the Montana Highway Patrol and law enforcement from other counties ended near Garrison after spike strips had been employed.

The man was arrested around 7:30 a.m. Thursday without injuries.

This is a developing story . . .

More From 100.7 KXLB