Digger Days Reflector Hazard Issued
If you were at Digger Days this weekend and you received a reflector (pictured above) from Central Valley Fire District please be aware these can be hazardous to your children.
Central Valley Fire District released the following after an incident over the weekend:
During the Digger Days event on August 26, 2017, as well as other public education scenarios, the Central Valley Fire District distributes items intended to provide information and/or increase public safety.
One of the items is a reflector light with a plastic clip for attaching to Halloween bags, bicycles belt-loops, etc. to increase the visibility of the wearer. The device utilizes two button-type batteries for power. Many of these lights have been purchased from a supplier and distributed by CVFD staff.
The Fire District was made aware of a situation involving one of these devices. Following the event on August 26, 2017, a child was able to open the battery compartment and remove a battery. The child subsequently swallowed the battery and medical attention was required. The Central Valley Fire District was notified by hospital staff and it is our understanding that the child was discharged from the hospital. The staff of the Fire District are disturbed by this incident and the intent of this information release to advise the public of the potential hazard. Photographs of the device are attached.
At this time, the Central Valley Fire District would like to advise parents of this situation. These devices should only be used under direct parental/adult supervision or discarded entirely. The Fire District intends to notify the distributor of the hazard and this incident as well.
Should you have questions or concerns, please contact Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Strickler or Assistant Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Bruce Hennequin at 406-388-4480