Bridger Foothills Fire: Labor Day Update
Bridger Canyon & Kelly Canyon residents are being allowed back onto their properties until noon today to check damage and to see if their houses and structures are still standing. Some were able to do a quick check on Sunday, but for many, today is the first time they've been able to survey the destruction caused by the Bridger Foothills Fire that swept through the canyon on Saturday. Residents have until noon today to visit their properties.
Here is what we know on this Labor Day Monday about the fire:
- The United States Forest Service estimates that the fire has burned 7,100 acres.
- The weather will be cooler today, which should help firefighters, although the front that is moving in will bring some winds with it. Rain is in the forecast for this afternoon, and snow could fall on the upper elevations of the Bridgers tonight.
- Residents in the following areas are under evacuation warning: Moffitt Creek, Quinn Creek, O'Rea Creek, Willow Creek, Fleshman Creek, Stone Creek, Brackett Creek, and Skunk Creek.
- Be advised that All Forest Roads and Trails in the Bridger and Bangtails are Closed Until Further Notice.
- A Type I Incident Management Team from the Rocky Mountains (WY/CO) will be assuming command today.
- Donations of water, Gatorade, and snacks have been rolling in almost non-stop since Saturday. The Gallatin County Sheriff's Office reports that they have plenty of food/water supplies for firefighting crews at this time. If you would like to donate either money or time, here is how you can do that:
- Money: Bridger Foothills Fire Relief Fund, text BRIDGERS to 91999 or give online at https://www.greatergallatinunitedway.org/ or https://www.onevalley.org/
- Time: https://www.volunteermt.org/need/detail/?need_id=539441 or go to VolunteerMT.org and click on Bridger Foothills Fire Volunteer Response.
- Meals for first responders or evacuees: Salvation Army 586-5813
- Housing for evacuees: American Red Cross, 1 800 272 6668
- Pet food or supplies: Heart of the Valley
- Anything else, including moving stock: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bridgerfoothillsfire
- If you have questions about the, please call the Help Center at 211 or 406-586-3333. Please only call 911 if you have a direct emergency.