Colorado Movie Theater Massacre: The Victims
Today, there will be an initial court hearing in Colorado for James Holmes, the 24 year old man accused of killing 12 and wounding 58 at the midnight showing of the new Batman movie.
We've heard a lot about Holmes. He was denied entrance into a gun club due to bizarre behavior. He booby trapped his apartment, and when taken into custody, told authorities he was the Batman villain The Joker.
But what about the victims? Each one had a family and a story of their own.
Jonathan Blunk, 26 -- Navy veteran who planned to re-enlist with the goal of becoming a Navy SEAL. He died after throwing himself in front of friend and telling her to stay down, saving her life. He leaves behind a wife and two young children.
- Alexander J. Boik, 18 -- Recent graduate of Aurora's Gateway High School who was set to start at the Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design in the fall.
- Jesse Childress, 29 -- An Air Force cyber-systems operator based at Buckley Air Force Base
- Gordon Cowden, 51 -- The oldest of the victims had gone to the midnight show with his two teenaged children, who escaped unharmed.
- Jessica Ghawi, 24 -- An aspiring sportscaster who had survived a shooting last month at a Toronto mall in which two people were killed and several injured. In a blog post afterward, she wrote about the fragility and life, saying, "I was reminded that we don't know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath."
- John Larimer, 27 -- Navy sailor based at Buckley Air Force Base, where he was a cryptologic technician
- Matt McQuinn, 27 -- McQuinn, who worked with girlfriend Samantha Yowler at Target, dove in front of her and her older brother to shield them from the gunfire. Yowler survived with a gunshot in the knee and her brother was unharmed.
- Micayla Medek, 23 -- Was taking classes at Aurora Community College while working at Subway, and was at the midnight showing with a group of about 10 friends.
- Veronica Moser-Sullivan, 6 -- The youngest victim had just learned to swim, according to her aunt. She was at the movie with her mother, who remains hospitalized with gunshot wounds to her neck and abdomen.
- Alex Sullivan, 27 -- Sullivan, a bartender, was killed on his 27th birthday and two days before his first wedding anniversary.
- Alexander C. Teves, 24 -- Had earned a master's degree in counseling psychology last month and was planning to become a psychiatrist.
- Rebecca Wingo, 32 -- An Air Force veteran and single mother of two daughters who'd recently started a job as a customer relations representative at a mobile medical imaging company.