Yellowstone Park Fire Update and Meeting Tonight
This afternoon, firefighters will begin a planned burnout on the Maple Fire east of the Madison River, in an attempt to remove unburned fuel and get the fire under control. There will be noticeable smoke in the Madison Junction area for the next few days.
If you’re interested, a community meeting for the Maple Fire will be held at the LDS church, 245 Faithful Street, West Yellowstone at 7:30 pm tonight.
Firefighters continue to work on the Buffalo Fire, and they are monitoring the Fawn, Central, and Jasper fires, which have not increased in size over the last few days.
- All entrances to Yellowstone National Park are open.
- Park visitor centers, concession-operated services, and businesses in surrounding communities remain open.
- The Harlequin Lake and Purple Mountain trails are open.
- Mount Holmes, Grizzly Lake, Winter Creek, and Trilobite Lake trails are now outside the closure area for the fire. However, trailheads remain closed due to road construction. Contact the Backcountry Office at 307-344-2160 for information on accessing these trails.
- The Bakers Hole area of the Madison River is closed due to the burnout operation on the Maple Fire.
- The Slough Creek Campground and surrounding area are closed due to the Buffalo Fire.
- The Mary Mountain Trail is closed due to the Central Fire.
- Visit the links below for the full list and maps of current backcountry campsite, trail, and road closures.
Stage 1 Fire Restrictions are in effect. Charcoal and wood campfires are prohibited in backcountry campsites, but are allowed in campgrounds and picnic areas.
Park Fire Information: http://go.nps.gov/YellowstoneFire
Air Quality Index: http://go.nps.gov/YellowstoneSmoke
Fire Map: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/management/currentfireactivity.htm
Fire Information: 307-344-7102, email@example.com
Year-Round Yellowstone Road Conditions: 307-344-2117