My Best Job Ever!
The Universal Studios Tour in Hollywood is celebrating its 50th Anniversary. This is exciting and interesting for me because from 1986 - 1988 I was a tour guide at Universal. To this day it is still the best job I've ever had. I was making $4.25 an hour, living in one of the most expensive cities in America, and my stylish work wardrobe (see above) was provided to me for free. How could I not have been having the time of my life? I still remember my very first day there, as I do some really fun experiences like:
- Giving tours to Janet Jackson, Kurt Russell (as close to Elvis as I'll ever get), and the President of Mexico (he fell asleep)
- Stopping Phylicia Rashād (the mom on the Cosby Show) outside of a soundstage and asking her to come inside to say hi to my tour group. She said yes! And this was during the time when she was one of the most popular TV stars in the world. The people on my tour went nuts!
- Got to see the Pope! Yes, even the Pope wanted to see Jaws and the Psycho House in person.
- Scared Steven Spielberg one night, when I ran up behind him. I didn't know it was him until he turned around, startled! Sorry, Steve.
- Had the privilege of working with some very talented individuals, many of whom are enjoying successful careers in the movie & TV industry. Occasionally I'll see a former tour guide on a TV show or up on the big screen.
I was young, had no debt, and the world was my oyster. Below is a video that a former tour guide, Tony Figueroa, put together. I make a brief appearance at the 47:27 mark. If you've ever taken the Universal Studios Tour I think you'll enjoy it! And if you're a former tour guide out there, you will love it!
Happy 50th to the Universal Studios Tour and thank you for allowing me to be a part of it!